Read about our
100% Recycled Textile
Inspired by the world's need for change and to reduce the impact of our activities on the planet, Horizons 100% recycled textiles help reduce plastic pollution by transforming single-use plastics into comfortable chairs and elegant storage solutions. Follow the process below.
COLLECTING PLASTIC WASTE
Did You Know?
Humans use around 1.2 million plastic bottles per minute. The energy required to produce and transport plastic bottles could fuel approximately 1.5 million cars for a year. Yet we only manage to recycle 25% of plastic bottles - the rest end up in landfills, as roadside litter and polluting the oceans.
By collecting single-use plastic from nature, the waste can be recycled for a new purpose. The Horizons textiles from UMAGE are made from 100% recycled polyester - reducing plastic waste and making the most of something that would otherwise end up harming the planet.
From Plastic Waste To Plastic Flakes
It takes nature around 450 years to break down a single plastic bottle. When plastic breaks down, it turns into microplastics that end up in the ocean. If plastic is collected and recycled, we minimise plastic pollution and create something new from all the plastic that is already available.
After collecting plastic bottles and other single-use plastic waste, the plastic is cleaned, sorted, ground and turned into plastic flakes.
From Plastic Flakes To Durable Materials
Using technology, the plastic flakes made from the plastic waste can be turned into polyester yarn, which is used to make soft, durable and 100% recycled polyester textiles.
Studies show that the production of recycled polyester uses 2/3 less energy and almost 90% less water than the production of virgin polyester.
As well as being better for the environment, the yarn and the textiles made from the yarn are also highly durable - further extending the lifespan of the design.
Global Recycled Standard
All Horizon textiles are certified with GRS, ensuring:
- That the textiles are verified and fulfil the ISO requirements for recyclability. Both processed material and consumer waste can be used.
- That the textiles fulfil strict social and environmental requirements.
- Chemicals with potential harm are not allowed to be used in GRS certified products.
- The identity of the recycled material is preserved: from production to finished product.
- An independent third party audits every step of the supply chain.
All Horizon textiles are certified with OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100, ensuring:
- No substances harmful to the environment or health have been used
- All components of the labelled product have been tested for harmful chemicals.
- A standard that is far more comprehensive than the legislation in Denmark and the EU (REACH), and therefore a good tool for ensuring compliance with legal requirements regarding harmful chemicals in products.
"The new textiles are called Horizons, reminding us that a brighter future is on the horizon if we all go the extra mile for the planet."
- Søren Ravn Christensen, Chief Creative Developer and co-owner.